Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Pat Robertson And CBN Friends Are Tripping Again
- Women Dressing Up Like Little Girls Dressing Up Like Women
- One simple rule
- Carnival Against Sexual Violence 81
- Gang rape as entertainment
- That’s not the word I’d be using
- The “scum of the earth” sentenced at last
- School days
- dude loses job, woman blamed
- Why isn’t the Richmond gang rape being treated as a hate crime?
– the annual excursion into halloween hysteria
– “If I could teach everyone in the world one thing about wheelchairs, it would be this:”
– fantastic links, as usual
– “My friend Steve said that a better name for the haunted house might be “The Mutilated Vagina House,” and I asked him, rhetorically, why there weren’t more mutilated penises in the mix. He replied that no one would come, and he was right.”
– Just read this from amandaw.
– “Just another example of the trivialisation of sexual offences in our community.”
– “Come on. None of this has anything to do with justice. It’s all about pandering to the alternately frightened and spiteful in marginal electorates.”
– “I don’t understand the system we have for starting kids at school. When my mother was a kid, you started school on your 5th birthday. I understand this is how it works in New Zealand as well. At the end of the year you start, you are assessed to see if you are ready to go on to year 1 or you need another year of kindy. It’s a pretty even split and so there’s no big deal about staying in kindy. That way readiness for year 1 can be based on the child’s progress, not a calendar date.”
– “You know what, Cly of Brisbane? Boys can sometimes look nice too and want to be made to feel sexy. Boys walk down the street sometimes and just pray a woman would holler out of a passing car. It’s about valuing the entire person, not just how well they do their job.”
– “the Richmond case provides an unusually clear-cut example of how violence against women, just because they’re women (as opposed to black/immigrant/Jewish/gay women) is considered normal. Why? Because it was in this very same town last year that the gang rape of a gay woman was prosecuted as a hate crime. “