Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Homeopathy kills
- What we missed: Obama Speech in Cairo Edition.
- Ned Hepburn and Gus Menary: Ain't No Party Like a Boner Party, 'Cause a Boner Party… Well, It Really Should Stop
- Hey Fatty Cover Up
- Man Arranges Rape of His Wife Via Craigslist Ad
- Absolute Versus Relative Charitable Giving
- SAHM Feminist: Down Under Feminist Carnival….
- Gang rapes, gay bashing and snow jobs
- What We Missed
- How mainstream are “pro-life” extremists?
- The "Pro-Life" Movement's Hot Rhetoric and All-Out Lies | RHRealityCheck.org
– “The reality is that the antivaxxers’ work will result in babies dying. The reality is that belief in homeopathy will result in more babies dying. The reality is that denying science-based medicine will result in more babies dying.”
– linkage to various discussions of the speech
– “They don’t hate women, though! They haven’t hit any, or raped any! So, if you call them “misogynist” or “sexist,” they will check to make sure that they don’t remember any hittings or rapings, conclude that they haven’t done those very bad things, and dismiss you. They forget that condescending to women, objectifying them (not fantasizing about them sexually, but defining them as objects that are only good for sexual fantasy or sex), and thinking about them in terms of demeaning stereotypes is also sexism. That’s just normal bro-stuff! They are normal!”
– “Shaming is so strong that some women will give up eating in public, swimming, bike riding, or daring to have any kind of active life. Commentary is often hidden under the guise of promoting a “healthy lifestyle,” while ignoring the fact that just because someone is slim does not make them healthy. If a F-A-T person is outside living life and having fun, how does shaming them into retreat promote health and well being? In the end, the “healthy lifestyle” discourse more often than not comes down to affirming our hierarchy of bodies.”
– Create your own maths problem using this data!
– Go read!
– Fascinating in a triggering way
– Links from Feministing
– evidence of their non-marginal influence on US politics
– from RH Reality Check