Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
(Huge catch-up set of links today, so click through the cut to read them all)
- Star Trek gets retconned
- “Alternative” medicine? You misspelled “not”.
- Bigotry 2.0: Hate Tweets
- India's sartorial police fight harassment
- Escaping a pick-up artist
- This Splinter In My Finger? Probably Muslim
- Hiding Behind Masks
- A stupid accusation I'd like to hate-f*ck
- Shooting at DC Holocaust Museum
- “Walk for Women”: High Heels as Activism
- Video: Great-Grandmother Tasered By Travis County TX Deputy
- David Letterman, the voice of dude nation
- Operation Rescue may buy Dr. Tiller's closed clinic
- Class, Race, and Privilege in the 'Central Park Jogger' Story
- Watch one progressive bus run over Rachel Maddow and the LGBT community
- To hell with opting out
- Growing In His Amazing Grace: Femininity vs. Feminism
– PZ’s review of Star Trek: The Retcon
– “The first panicky retreat in the war on free speech in the UK has begun.”
– “Here’s a shocker for you: after a decade and 2.5 billion (with a b, folks) dollar spent, a government study shows that almost no alternative medicines worked.”
– “So it all boiled down to me being too “out.” By talking conversationally about my husband and family or talking about issues that matter to me, I was being “in her face.” “
– “I guess punishing harassers is out of the question? It’s certainly much easier to slap women on the wrist for failing to police male sexuality.”
– Would this work so well outside the US?
– “I find it touching that conservatives are willing to apply a deftness of perception and distinction between themselves and James von Brunn that they aren’t willing to apply to the billion Muslims around the world. “
– “All kudos to him and the Fox News for allowing this to be aired.”
– “What I find almost laughable is that most of the conservatives who have said, “HA! See? Feministing doesn’t care about that Playboy article, and therefore all feminists are hypocrites!” are not folks who normally give two shits about sexism. They only care about this article because they think it’s a “gotcha” moment.”
– more right-wing extremism
– Like Gwen, I find these odd.
– Various Australian state govts assure us that our police will be too well trained to abuse Tasers like way too many US cops have done – how confident is everybody feeling?
– “Sexism isn’t selective, and misogyny isn’t something that only applies to certain women. The dudes can’t tell the difference.
Every joke about raping Sarah Palin or her daughter is a joke about raping you.”
– “These people seriously have no shame.”
– Reminders of how the system silences some
– Depressingly typical of the Obama administration’s softly-softly approach
– “It may be, Boushey concedes, that it was much “sexier” to trump up a false war between those who “chose” to stay at home and those who “chose” to work because at least it gave us something to argue about. “After all,” she writes, “most women must balance work with caregiving. They don’t have the option of opting out. Where’s the debate in that?””
– Quote: “Women slandered men when they took up jobs that a man should do.” (This idea intrigues me, and not in a good way, but I ask readers to discuss it forcefully here and only discuss it without aggressiveness on the original post)