Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Bachmann Compares Census To WWII Internment Camps
- ticking all the boxes means not talking politics
- Linksplosion! Parenting edition
- Joke about rape only offensive to stupid people, says hilarious man
– Michelle Bachman – sadly deluded or cynical demagogue?
– the connotations and ramifications of using the phrase “high maintenance” when describing people
– great set of links from Zero at the Bone
– “It’s not the “Oh, but the intent was…” argument on its own; I’ve long-since built up an ablative layer of scorn to deal with that. It the outright dismissal of every other point of view. How hideously, poisonously arrogant, how sickeningly convinced of your own inherent superiority, how lacking in even the most basic human capacity for empathy must you be to state, explicitly, that anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours is wrong? That if someone takes issue with a comedian’s use of rape in a joke, regardless of their intent, because it’s one of the most damaging, painful things that can possibly happen, it must be because they lack basic English comprehension skills and don’t “get it”? Thoughtlessly deploying rape without realising how deep it cuts doesn’t make you a monster by default, but sneering at anyone who takes issue with your behaviour does. ” (Seriously, one of the best things Richie’s ever written, which is saying something)