Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments. [oh, it's a really long one today! links after the cut, folks]
- Finally A Women’s Movement Men Can Get Behind
- Awesomely bizarre light show freaks out Norway
- “Religion is…a lot like a girl”
- What does a half million galaxies look like?
- Women Women Blah Blah Blah | HPC
- COTW: Why Atheists Need Radicals
- Book Review: Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara Ehrenreich
- Right-wing site removes post calling Kevin Jennings a pedophile
- ‘Healthy’ food is cost prohibitive for many families
- Attention, Ladies! A Man is Here to Help!
- Better late than never
- I Kodak!
– “I suppose this is exactly where pink ribbon feminism has been headed: men and women, finally together, in celebration of women’s objectification.”
– I would definitely freak out if I’d seen this
– PZ Myers highlights an example of internalised sexism from one Kathryn Lofton
– ooh, shiny
– “After voicing my opinion on the maleness of yet another tech conference, I ran into a friend of mine at the afterparty who told me, “I nearly picked a fight with you. That stuff is getting so boring.” And upon getting back to my hotel room to check the conversation on twitter, several others suggested the same.
Yes. Boring. I’m bored of it, too. I would love us to move onto another subject. 100% agreed. But the fact of the matter is that these boring complaints actually lead to action. “
– “A friend of mine told me a few years ago that he thought that real social change only occurs through a combination of radicals and moderates.”
– “There seems to be a massive empathy deficit, which people respond to by withdrawing their own. No one has the time or patience for anyone else’s problems…When the gurus advise dropping “negative” people, they are also issuing a warning: smile and be agreeable, go with the flow–or prepare to be ostracized.”
– a depressing litany of the bile and outright lies being hurled at Obama administration official Kevin Jennings (aka “Schools Czar”) by homophobic groups
– “A study recently published in The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health found that a ‘healthy’ diet would cost 40% of the disposable income of a welfare-dependent family.
– “But what I find particularly distressing about it in the context of feminist discussion is that this maneuver is frequently the subject of congratulation by other feminists, which boggles me. Feminists will say things like, “we do need to include men’s issues!” and “we need men to be our allies, thanks!” to men like these. It makes me wonder if my reading comprehension skills are poorer than they are traditionally reputed to be. Because these men are not our allies, in my opinion. Why are they not our allies? Below, a list:”
– Bitch PhD sums up Ann Althouse’s latest virtuoso display of the patented Althouse deathgrip on her tastefully dainty fainting couch.
– “Total blub for Kodak. Valuing each and every individual. Diversity. Respect. “We truly regret that these values offend you.”"