Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- OMG! VF discovers "tweethearts"!
- Cycles Are Hard To Break: Disability and Domestic Violence
- Love makes you fat
- GLOBAL MAMA: The Mommy Myth That Will Not Die
- The "pro-life" parable
- Oh, you bad, bad women.
- Acts of Contrition: Feminism, Privilege, and the Legacy of Mary Daly
- Women of the World: Put Out or Die in a Terrorist Attack
- Jesus was a Palestinian and Why it Matters « Muslim Reverie
- mynxii: 19th December Down Under Feminists' Carnival!
- Dating site for beautiful people expels 'fatties' after holiday weight gain – CNN.com
– “There’s something kind of cute about watching the withering old media shake its fists in the air, railing at social media to get offa its lawn”
– “women with disabilities are at least twice as likely as able women to experience domestic violence and intimate partner abuse”
– “No one ever goes out for dinner intending to take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day. I know it must be true because so very many articles like this have told me so.”
– “The Mommy Myth That Will Not Die: Bella Swan and Global Motherhood”
– Yet again another religious conservative convert seems to be making up their lurid backstory in order to get more recognition from their new friends.
– “Gee, ladies, did you have to get all offended? Couldn’t you rather appreciate our super clever campaign? We’re, uh, playing devil’s advocate, or, um, sparking a debate, yeah, that’s it! This was, what’s that phrase, designed to further public discourse!”
– One of the many obituaries of Daly
– severe headdesk alert
– “When you see so many depictions of Jesus as a Western White man with Euro-American features, the ethnocentrism and race-bending needs to be called out. No person is superior to another based on skin color, but to ignore the way Jesus’ Whiteness has been used to subjugate and discriminate against racial minorities in the West and many other countries is to overlook another important aspect of Jesus’ teachings: Love thy neighbor as thyself.” (via stephiepenguin)
– “This month’s optional theme was ‘Invisible Sexism: The Elephant in the Room’”
– “A dating site that markets itself as an elite community for beautiful people with a “strict ban on ugly people” has axed about 5,000 members for packing on the pounds during the holiday season.”