Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- So Sexy Too Soon
- An Angle On Slash and the Appropriation Debate
- I’ll see you a coward and raise you an idiot.
- Fair Use … of Hitler!
- Chip, Chip, Chip…
- Stephanie Grace, racist Harvard emailer.
- What women want: a non event
- Amazing Shuttle picture!
- Saving girls from being cut
– “Diane Levin and Jean Kilbourne explore the role of gendered and sexualized marketing on young girls in So Sexy, So Soon. They tell a story of 7- and 8-year-old girls who feel they must be sexy so boys will like them and are upset that their parents won’t buy them sexy clothes. “
– “I can see how gay men look at slash and see their sexuality being co-opted by someone who is in a position of privilege in relation to them. The fact that slash-writing women may see it as sexualizing someone in a greater position of privilege than theirs – straight white men – that’s not how you see it when you’re reading descriptions of your own sexuality being fetishized by people whose group – straight people/women – gives you shit in real life, and who aren’t a part of the sexuality they’re describing, which is supposed to be yours. I really do get it – I have seen bad “lesbian” porn. To gay men, slash fiction must seem as skeezy and turn-off-ish as straight and “lesbian” (made for men) porn seems to a lot of women.”
– Possum’s perspective on the electioneering calculus underlying Labor’s ditching of the ETS
– “You’ve probably heard that many of those wonderful YouTube parodies using the clips from Downfall are disappearing due to copyright claims. Well, to help combat that tragedy, Rocketboom/Know Your Meme have put together this useful Public Service Announcement ‘Challenging a YouTube Take Down with Fair Use’:”
– “The Florida Senate has passed an amendment that would not only require women seeking abortions to get an ultrasound, but to pay for them:”
– “I’m obviously troubled and disgusted by Stephanie Grace’s email and her arguments. But I’m even more disgusted by many of the responses — the ones that say the email wasn’t really racist, that it’s somehow irrational to use terms like “racist” or “sexist,” and that any idea, no matter how horrific, should not only be introduced but also should not be met with any level of offense.”
– “What was missing was any wider analysis of what needed to be done on whole of government basis. The areas to be discussed were very limited and there was no mention of what happened in other portfolio areas.”
– “”Amateur” astronomer Ralf Vandebergh took this incredible shot of the Space Shuttle Orbiter Discovery as it was docked to the space station. Mind you, this picture was taken from the ground!”
– “It inspired him to take action! Feminist-minded journalism with a positive real-life impact? Now, fancy that. “