Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed-reader. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- I am a woman and I enjoy sex
- New Mother's (False) Positive Drug Test Leads to Baby's Removal…Poppy-Seed Bagel the Culprit
- Nurse comments on victims of BP dispersants: 'toxified people who have been chemically poisoned'
- News even news junkies don't know about — huge plumes of oil have reappeared?
- The wretched mind of the American authoritarian
- Concerning Bullies
- Politicians care so much they make their message nonsense
- Phony Christians shedding crocodile tears over the bullying of lgbt teens
- Link Salad Post
- Don't let the weird nationalism break you up: Thoughts on the Hobbit
– “Now, Mr Fry, the pseudonymity of my blog is paramount; because it is simply not socially safe for me as a young woman to say the things in the above paragraph. Not just because my family would be shocked, or my coworkers would give each other meaningful glances across the breakroom.
Because, Mr Fry, do you know what happens to women who openly state they enjoy sex, who act in an overtly sexual manner, who admit to casual sex?
If they get raped, their rapist walks free.”
– “Though Mort was eventually cleared of any illegal drug use and Isabella was reunited with her family, the family is bringing a lawsuit against Jameson to stop the hospital from wreaking unnecessary havoc on other families who may be victimized by the irresponsible policies.”
– “As bad as the Democratic response was to the disaster, it’s scary to think how much worse it will be with the Republicans. Less regulation and apologies to destroyers of the environment is what waits ahead.”
– “Here’s a roundup of some of the Gulf oil headlines from just the last 4 days:”
– “What he wants the Government to do to “stop” Assange is left unsaid — tough-guy neocons love to beat their chest and demand action without having the courage to specify what they mean — but his question (“Why isn’t Julian Assange dead?”) was published in multiple newspapers around the country today.”
– “What is wealth? It is the tangible benefits of a society working together: food, shelter, warmth, sex, knowledge, joy and long life. No society lasts for long when the benefits are hoarded in the hands of only a few.”
– “Of course, subtitling your video (and providing a transcript) are not only for people who are d/Deaf or hard-of-hearing.”
– “So in other words, in spite a CNN poll which says churches contribute to the problem of gay teen suicide, these folks who call themselves “real Christians” continue to play the “it’s the rabid homosexual activists” card.
Personally, I’m astounded by the audacity of these folks because you see, I don’t necessarily blame the church for this problem. And of course I don’t blame the lgbt community.
The problem is staring us all in the face. It’s these “real Christians” that are to blame. “
– linkfest from The Professional Lap Cat
– “There’s something amazing about the passive voice – it can hide who is actually acting in the circumstance. [...] Whatever the studios decide, that’s their responsibility.
To say otherwise is to support a “look what you made me do” position: don’t provoke those with more power, and if you do you are responsible.”