It’s been a busy non-writing weekend, but I have caught up with some reading. Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- Reflex Activism
- Mr Big
- “Geek girls” and the problem of self-objectification
- Enter Ye Myne Mystic World of Gayng-Raype: What the “R” Stands for in “George R.R. Martin”
- Rape Culture 101
- Because, links
- Travelling Feminist: Women on Boards
- I may be some little time …
- Australia’s ten shittest branded flash mobs
- This is rape culture, and everyone is laughing
- Best books on raising strong girls
– Take the ethical paper pledge.
– “According to Ms Worsley, people in this day and age throw the term ‘Byronic looks’ around without even knowing what they are truly alluding to. Apparently we think that ‘Byronic’ means sexy/handsome but this just proves we don’t know what we are talking about because there is no way Byron could be considered sexy/handsome, he was FAT remember. And we all know fat can’t possibly be sexy.”
– “Because geek cultures often think of themselves as countercultural, they don’t usually believe they are tainted by the sexism, racism, ableism, ageism, ad naseum that infect popular culture. And there are entire blogs that prove that nonsense untrue.”
– A 10-year-old essay from Cory Doctorow that makes for interesting rereading.
– “I could try to look at the positives, before I get to the criticism. But you know what? I’m still going to criticize the books. And if these are your toys, you’re going to be mad no matter what, because criticism of your favorite things exists. On the INTERNET, no less! SCANDAL!
So why don’t we just cut to the chase, here? George R. R. Martin is creepy. He is creepy because he writes racist shit. He is creepy because he writes sexist shit. He is creepy, primarily, because of his TWENTY THOUSAND MILLION GRATUITOUS RAPE AND/OR MOLESTATION AND/OR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SCENES. And I could write a post about those, to be sure. But you know what would be easier? I could just count them. One by one by one.”
– “Imagine how unsafe you’d feel. Imagine how angry you’d feel. And then imagine that it’s not a room you can leave.”
– links from bluemilk
– “Aagoth Storvik and Mari Teigen, both senior researchers at the Institute for Social Research in Oslo, released a study that argued that without both the compulsory quotas and the accompanying sanctions for non-compliance, it would be next to impossible to increase the number of female board members. This articlein Der Spiegel quotes from the study, and the researcher, pointing out that 7 years after the concept was introduced, nobody in Oslo is worried about it any more.
“But after the reform went into force almost nobody seemed to object, hardly anybody is writing about it in the newspapers any more or telling us about negative experiences.””
– “Given a change of leader, and if they aren’t forced to an election early, I think Labor still has a good chance.”
– cringingly awful
– Trigger warning for sexual assault and rape talk
– good stuff