Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- Feminist Blog Outs Trans Women, Posts Pictures,
- Embracing rugby the game, rejecting Rugby the culture
- Happy 45th Anniversary, Star Trek!
- Weight Watchers the solution to the obesity crisis?
- Is this really happening?
- The Fitness Question
- No, *This* Is How We Get More Black People Involved in the Atheist Movement
- Feminists not getting “you-know-what”
- A Bad Day for Fat Liberty
- Pink Is For Girls!
- Reflections on the Racialicious Roundtable
- Tony Abbott, family man
– and WordPress.com refuses to enforce its own Terms of Service, hiding behind some excuse that they need a court order. Who needs a court order to enforce a TOS?
– “I can no longer entirely divorce my rugby-watching from many of the problematic aspects of rugby culture.”
– Trek love
– “there’s probably a reason that studies of weight-loss programs (especially ones funded by the company who runs the program, as this study was) don’t do long-term follow up on the participants.”
– “Why was this particular family being picked on? There must be plenty of families with two fat parents that have fat children – the genetic odds of that happening are 80%. How were they able to force the family to live under the supervision of social services? How is that legal? How could this possibly have been cost effective? And why do they think that taking these children away from their parents is going to magically change them into thin people? The family did what they wanted, and it didn’t work!”
– “Would it be worth it to you to exercise if you didn’t lose weight? If the only benefits you reaped would be the benefits of physical activity?”
– “the basic thesis was that in order to attract more members of minority communities […] to the secular/freethought movement, the only thing that could be done was to make the movement more friendly and welcoming in general. A sort of Field of Dreams approach to attracting members of communities of colour – if you build it, they’ll start showing up. I was a bit apoplectic because Mr. Miller has clearly not consulted with, or bothered to listen to, anyone who has been talking about this issue from the minority perspective. This kind of laissez faire approach to recruitment is doomed to fail for reasons I will explain.”
– “Tantaros seems to be under the impression that women having sex for pleasure means we get laid less often (or at least less well), which is confusing. Because if feminists aren’t having sex, how are we able to get pregnant in order to have ALL of the abortions? “
– “And liberty, everywhere.
In Dundee, Scotland, fat kids from a non-neglectful household are being put up for adoption by the state because their parents failed to ‘slim them down.’
– “That the association of these colors to gender is fairly recent did not stop evolutionary-psychologists from arguing that women innately prefer pink, what with the need to find ripe fruit in those long-gone gathering days when the menz went a-hunting and the wimminz a-gathering.
Of course the color pink means that fruit is not ripe yet, in almost all the cases I can think of. But facts never ruin a good story!”
– “I always avoided men who wanted to “experiment” because it made me feel more like a science project than a human being.”
– Spit. Indeed.