Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Misogyny in Music: Art vs Science
- Islam And Feminism | Muslim Feminists
- Battlestar Galactica: Disability In Space
– “Generally what happens is this: I’m driving along, listening to a new song, usually enjoying it – maybe even for the first few times I hear it. And then I really listen to the lyrics, and there’s a grunching moment. There’s rape culture, right there on my radio, right there in the songs crowds are rocking out to at this years’ festivals. Right there in the words being joyfully screamed out from moshpits everywhere. And it’s bloody depressing.”
– “This patronising discourse arrogantly assumes the way to overcome patriarchy is to abandon Islam and adopt ”Western values”. How can a constructive effort to improve the situation of women begin when the conversation is so unsophisticated, demeaning and primitive?”
– “Despite the fact that some people turn up their noses at science fiction and all it stands for, it is often the most striking television in terms of depicting equality;”