Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed.What did I miss? Please share what you’ve been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Traveling While Disabled: One Size Fits All?
- How Sexism Hurts Men, Part 2: Why Do I Care?
- Racing in stilettos and bikinis
- Cordelia Fine and the Delusions of Gender
- A person is not their job
– “And clearly they either haven’t realized or simply don’t care that if a deaf guest has to be in one of the two wheelchair accessible rooms in order to be safe in a fire, that means a wheelchair user can’t be accommodated at that hotel at all.”
– “Why do I care about sexism and gender normativity in ephemeral bits of pop culture fluff?
And why do I care about how sexism hurts men at all? With all the grotesque ways that sexism and gender normativity hurts women, why would I spend my time worrying about how it hurts men?”
– “Today brings news of two major advancements in women’s sports in Australia.”
– “Men from Mars? Women from Venus? All pseudo-science!
In Delusions of Gender, Fine demonstrates “how old myths, dressed up in new scientific finery, are helping to perpetuate the sexist status quo” and reveals “the mind’s remarkable plasticity, [which] shows how profoundly culture influences the way we think about ourselves.””
– “What’s pissing me off is the whole notion that once you are employed, everything you say and do, 24/7 is owned by your employer.”