Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments.
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- What The Office Does Right That 30 Rock Does Not [TV Correspondent Tryout]
- Feminism makes boners sad.
- helen kelly on the hobbit dispute
- There Is No Gender Wage Gap, Silly Women. Part 1.
- There Is No Gender Wage Gap, Silly Women. Part 2.
- Bob Ellis is a sexist dinosaur
- #thingsfatpeoplearetold: Suggested Readings
- Hey, let’s start the food craziness as young as we can.
- Sheehan’s mental meandering
- Montana State Rep calls for gays that ‘recruit’ go to jail for 10 years
- Rape is so rock and roll
- indefensible: With respect, this is how that tweet…
- Ableism in Comedy, Ableism in “Support”
- Disney Princess Grapes?
- Sydney Morning Herald: Racist? Angry? The answer may be in a pill
- Adipositivity 475: Dude Week!
- links for 2011-04-11
- Eyes Tightly Shut. More on the Brazilian School Killings and Media
- Hollywood Hates Saying Goodbye
- Weekly Roundup and Open Thread [April 11th 2011]
– “I began to realize why it made me so uncomfortable; it’s in fact the show’s greatest strength. The Office, unlike other shows that deal with this topic on a regular basis, is not interested in teaching white viewers lessons about race and racism. It is interested in providing its POC viewers with a catharsis, a chance to see their daily experiences validated by mainstream media.”
– “Why are so many women sexually unsatisfied? Romance novels, definitely. ”
– “peter jackson and his “camp” have been responsible for a huge attack on workers rights and got another massive handout out from nz taxpayers on top of that. i’m not sure how these people sleep at night, but i guess an additional $30 million would help quite a bit.”
– Echidne dissects some resurrected wage gap myths.
– Echidne debunks the latest round of wage gap myths
– “He’s using the Bible and some long-gone sitcoms to justify perving at women in the shower or having sex? Seriously? And someone at the ABC thought it was ok to publish this rubbish?”
– So go read!
– “A school in Chicago is actually banning homemade lunches (unless a kid has allergies).”
– “tell me, Sheehan, you know this how? I don’t know any woman who thinks shoes give her power.”
– “So I decided to finally read The Dirt the Mötley Crüe bio.
I got to this chapter (by Nikki Sixx) and I thought I’d share it with you all:
*TRIGGER WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF RAPE*”
– “Spoken like someone who has not experienced the Melbourne comedy scene from the inside.”
– “This singular sentence is the one part of the whole issue that most insults me. This is an organisation designed to help people like me become more independent over time. It’s an organisation that I was hoping to use to help me gain some of the skills that I’ve not been taught in growing up. But apparently, it’s an organisation that thinks that I don’t exist. According to its CEO, people with “mild Aspergers” are incapable of defending themselves. People who can defend themselves can’t possibly be autistic. Or adult. Or an independent member of society.”
– “it wasn’t the branding of food that interested me. But there is something unfamiliar to me about the associating of grapes with Disney. ”
– “Is moral behavior so hard to achieve that we need to drug people up in order to achieve it? What does that say about Western culture?”
– “Self-explanatory. A week. Of dudes. They’re fat. Adipose: Of or relating to fat. Positivity: Characterized by or displaying acceptance or affirmation. MISSION: The Adipositivity Project aims to promote size acceptance, not by listing the merits of big people, or detailing examples of excellence (these things are easily seen all around us), but rather, through a visual display of fat physicality. The sort that’s normally unseen. The hope is to widen definitions of physical beauty.”
– “We can’t ignore ‘the little stuff,’ because that’s It—that’s the stuff, that’s the fertile soil in which everything else takes root and from whence everything else springs, that’s the way that the fundamental idea of inequality is conveyed over and over and over again.”
– “Guess what? The press outside Brazil firmly refuses to notice that ten of the twelve killed were girls, with the exception of the British Guardian…”
– They also hate having to look for parking spots – MAGIC GAPS JUST APPEAR!
– 33 links of interest