Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- PZ Myers: Scientist. Atheist. Mensch.
- The revolt against Murdochracy: a view from Oz
- Important editorial advice
- Can't Vs. Won't
- So Much Cute! SO MUCH! (This is sarcasm.)
- Drilling down to the lizard brain: slut shaming edition
- Weekly Round-Up and Open Thread, 11th July 2011.
- It’s not about Nemo
– “PZ is a mensch because, in his space, he called out:
who is his friend
and is more famous and influential than he is
If you male-type people want to know what women want? This is it. We will of course tell you to be courteous, to follow the Decent Person’s Guide, to be respectful of boundaries and consent. But what women (and other people trying to battle against rape culture need most from men is that you be willing to tell your friends when they’re over the line.
It doesn’t matter how good your behavior is (or you think it is), if you aren’t willing to tell your friends when their behavior starts heading for not-so-nice. You don’t have to fight them, but you do need to exert social, friendly pressure. And you need to be aware that it doesn’t matter how great a guy seems when he’s with you, if a bunch of women think he’s a creep he’s not actually that great a guy.”
– “The hacking and bribery scandals appear (as far as we know) to be confined to the UK, but the greater scandal of Murdoch’s corruption of the political process and misuse of press power is even worse in Australia. “
– Deconstruction of the Strunk/White possibilities from Language Log
– “Our failure to create jobs is a choice, not a necessity — a choice rationalized by an ever-shifting set of excuses. “
– “The whole narrative of women putting out for (male) soldiers as a patriotic gesture is SO FUCKING ADORABLE I can barely stand it!”
– “To those who continue to believe that the “pro-life” movement is concerned with cute little babies and not the sexual behavior of women, I offer this:”
– super linkfest from the F-Word Blog
– “It’s no fun picking on lovable cartoon characters! That issue is at the very heart of the problem. These movies repeatedly charm us and our kids into celebrating the same old gender stereotypes generation after generation.”