Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Court puts women in danger
- Simply rude to ignore Uluru feelings
- Maths is full of unknown Xs and Ys
- 40 years since Apollo 11 – first manned mission to the moon
- Coding Horror: How Not to Advertise on the Internet
– “”A woman doesn’t stay in a refuge for the fun of it,” she said. “And I’m outraged that the family law system these days facilitates contact [with children] over safety.””
– “As Tory Maguire wrote on The Punch website this week, if it is good enough for people to jump through hoops at other religious venues, such as mosques or cathedrals, by removing their shoes or covering their heads, then it’s probably fair enough that we adjust our behaviour and afford a similar respect to the first Australians.
The idea of climbing the rock as some form of personal odyssey or white man’s conquest also strikes me as a bit of a clapped-out 1970s concept,”
– “By now, you’d have thought the whole Mars/Venus thing would have gone the way of the Planet Formerly Known as Pluto – i.e., downgraded to dwarf status. But no. We still cling to falsified concepts of “innateness” with the tenacity of tree-borne koalas – and their mental alertness too, alas. When notions of gender are involved, the hardening of the categories can be especially severe.”
– Radio National with transcript and podcast
– What a shocker (via thecurvature on twitter)