Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Women and Men
- The militia extremists of the '90s are back, and organizing quietly in the woods
- Et tu, Colbert?
- Bathrooms, again? Still?
- Going After The Princes
- Sheriff Joe's rabid supporters spew hate: 'Kill any man, woman or child who comes across the border illegally'
- Bare-Faced Go-Away Bird
- Quick Hit: SMH and rape reporting – did you just photoshop her scars??
– “So women were forced into underpaid pink collar professions like education and nursing. By men. And now the female-dominated industries are thriving. And now the same men who forced them there are whining about it. Priceless.”
– The militant right is nervous and preparing to fight
– “Let’s be very clear about this: It’s not irony. It’s not satire. It’s not even remotely relevant to the sketch and would not have a place there if Colbert hadn’t “pretended to hear Rush right.” It’s just the demeaning sexualization of Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor for fucking laughs.
Two women have sat on that bench in the Court’s 200 year history, and I’m not even going to soft-peddle it: This shit is why. The unwillingness or inability or flat refusal to regard women as people rather than some less than subset, defined by what’s (assumed to be) between their legs, is why Sonia Sotomayor will be only the third woman in US history to sit on the Supreme Court.”
– “I guess what gets me about it is that, here we are in 2009 – approaching twenty years after I immigrated to women’s country – and we’re still yammering and flailing about bathrooms.”
– “I have no idea if it’s connected, but since we are all once again playing the old parlor game of “what was Cheney really up to?” I figured I’d throw it out there.”
– Eliminationism on the nativist right.
– Hilzoy is retiring from blogging
– “Far be it from me to suggest some cold blooded sensationalist photoshopping, but it looks to me as though there’s been some cold blooded sensationalist photoshopping here.”