Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- 22nd Down Under Feminists Carnival
- Rape Myths Lead to No Justice for Sexual Assault Victims on College Campuses
- The cougar gets her due
- 7 Simple Responses Which Help Support An Anti-Rape Culture
- A Spark of Wisdom: Popular homophobic tropes that need to end and why
- You've Turned Our Important Ball-Sport Into Ladybusiness!
- 40 vs. 4000
- Not Terrorism in Texas
- Abortion tweets met with death threats
- Sexism in the atheist community: not rational, not reasonable, not funny
– Bumper effort from carnival-wrangler Fuckpoliteness
– “The idea that there are hoards of rapists out there “accidentally” raping is absurd on its face. But even if it was true, it results in a no less responsible rapist. If you don’t want to rape someone, you make sure that the other party is enthusiastically and meaningfully consenting. If you fail to do that and rape someone, there was no accident involved — just the likely and logical outcome of a conscious choice to disregard the bodily autonomy and safety of another person.”
– “h, that’s more familiar! Men like sex and women don’t. Men are attracted to youth and beauty, while women are only attracted to money and status. Men who date women their daughters’ age are just being rational — grandpa caveman still want symmetrical features and good waist-hip ratio for make baby caveman! — but women who date men even a few years younger are stunted, vain and predatory.”
– “Those who are sexually violent depend on believing they have the support of others and they depend on the silence of those who don’t support them. So here are 7 tips for how to respond to victim blaming or other deliberate or accidental support for sexual violence.”
– great guest post from Sparky
– “the few male sportswriters who are writing about Kulick’s win are serving up bullshit like this delightful observation, care of FanHouse’s David Whitley: “Rule No. 1 in determining whether an activity is a sport: If the best female in the world can beat the best male in the world, it doesn’t qualify.”
Because there is no full-time women’s tour, Kulick competed against the men—and as soon as she won by a resounding 70 pins, suddenly it’s not a sport anymore. Of course.”
– great project
– “I utterly fail to see how this is not being regarded as a terrorist manifesto.
Except, of course, for the usual: It’s not terrorism when it’s white men committing it or only marginalized groups and their allies targeted by it.
Try to imagine, for one moment, a brown-skinned man with a foreign name being allowed to wage a campaign of intimidation of this scale, including openly hosting a website with militaristic rhetoric, against Upstanding Christian White MenTM for an entire year while working as a security guard at a nuclear facility, without the authorities paying him any mind at all.
Yeah. Try to imagine that for one moment without bursting into laughter at the absurdity of the proposition.”
– Angie Jackson is standing up to them. Brave woman.
– “I’m posting about the opposite problem: misogyny and sexism within the atheist community. I wish it didn’t exist, but it does,”