Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Facebook’s new slut page: a monument to girl hatred
- Don’t do it!
- Bugger the sceptics – let’s start campaigning positively again!
- Helping the poor is just what Satan wants us to do!
- Rape is not kinky
- You’ve got a long way to go, baby
- Links of Great Interest: Givin’ up that good-good
– “A couple of images of men have been posted on the site. One male helpfully points out that men can’t be sluts “cos only the bitches are sluts”.
And there you have it.”
– Hee! My favourite is the last one.
– Climate change denialism, climate fatigue and the continuing need for climate action.
– ““Rich” thinks that Jesus wanted his people to advocate for the freedom of poor people to suffer and die in poverty. That the government that represents them and acts on their behalf should NEVER do the things he asked them to do directly. I want you to help the poor – but not collectively! You must not join together to effectively help them! That would be socialism, which I ABHOR!
Somehow, providing decent education or healthcare for poor children becomes “suppressing the masses”. It’s a bizarre, sociopathic worldview. And one that hurts real people.”
– Jo Tamar on the predatory sexual harassment and rape culture on HMAS Success.
– “But it all still reminds me of the time I was working for a man who neurotically hated women and chose me to be his token Well-Treated And Respected Woman so when Human Resources came to investigate multiple allegations of gender discrimination and harassment, he could hold up my employee file as an example of just how good he treated gals when they actually deserved it. (Yes, I was the one who started the complaints. I’ve never been very smart about taking advantage of a good thing for me at the expense of others.)
Let’s be excited for Kathryn Bigelow. But don’t think this means Hollywood is opening up to women. They just recognized a cheap, easy Grand Gesture they could make that might help silence the opposition.”
– One of Hathor Legacy’s regular link round-ups