Government Overreach Edition – Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- The Government campaign against researchers who dared question income management
- Youth privacy at risk under the Mad Monk
- Privacy? Only criminals want privacy!
- Are we being governed by people who haven't read 1984?
– “efforts by Minister Macklin and colleagues to undermine a study from the Menzies School of Health Research that casts doubts on the benefits claimed for income management in NT Aboriginal communities.”
– “A recent legal case in Melbourne, combined with the increased likelihood of an Abbott prime ministership, has resurrected fears about young people’s medical privacy.”
– “Don’t worry, though – I’m sure these extraordinary powers will never be abused. They’re just there to be used sparingly and appropriately by nice honest men who are above corruption and greed and the petty failings of us ordinary human beings. Promise. You’ve got nothing to worry about.”
– “Got that? I can’t get any information about the condition of a family member in hospital, but the government wants unchecked access to my browsing history. There you have the privacy laws. Due To Privacy, the individual is hog-tied but the government can do whatever it likes.”
Such an excellent post by the always good Pavlov’s Cat, that one.
Yes, she cuts right to the heart of the cognitive dissonance about privacy that underlies so many government policies, not the the internet filter/browser history furore.
More crap from Fielding.
H/T to News with Nipples
Mindy, I…what? The man is totally from another planet.
He must lie awake at night thinking these things up. I don’t know how easy it is to fall pregnant when you are drug addicted, I have heard that coming off drugs is far more likely to lead to a pregnancy (assuming you are not using some form of contraception or not planning to fall pregnant) and the idea that someone would dream up a scheme like this just to get money from the government? There are easier ways.
Besides which, it’s a misreading of the bill! A still-birth has to be certified by an attending physician. You can’t just have an abortion and then go off and claim you’ve had a stillbirth.
And of course, there’s that whole narrative of women “just” having abortions, too. Like the idea that teens “just” have babies for the baby bonus and the single parent allowance.
Oh yeah, all those single parents living in luxury on the single parent allowance. How I envy them (not). At least Barnaby Joyce had a go at him.
what? The man is totally from another planet…
Yep, one formed 6014 years ago. Certainly not from this planet. He and his Senate running mate, Pastor Danny Nalliah of Catch the Fire Ministries read from the same running sheet.