Government Overreach Edition – Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- The Government campaign against researchers who dared question income management
- Youth privacy at risk under the Mad Monk
- Privacy? Only criminals want privacy!
- Are we being governed by people who haven't read 1984?
– “efforts by Minister Macklin and colleagues to undermine a study from the Menzies School of Health Research that casts doubts on the benefits claimed for income management in NT Aboriginal communities.”
– “A recent legal case in Melbourne, combined with the increased likelihood of an Abbott prime ministership, has resurrected fears about young people’s medical privacy.”
– “Don’t worry, though – I’m sure these extraordinary powers will never be abused. They’re just there to be used sparingly and appropriately by nice honest men who are above corruption and greed and the petty failings of us ordinary human beings. Promise. You’ve got nothing to worry about.”
– “Got that? I can’t get any information about the condition of a family member in hospital, but the government wants unchecked access to my browsing history. There you have the privacy laws. Due To Privacy, the individual is hog-tied but the government can do whatever it likes.”