Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments.
n.b. articles only are read, not comments threads. Some may be NSFW or tirggering, so please protect yourselves and report back any problems you encounter.
- I’m fat and am going to die (eventually)
- oh yes, you’re really very nice
- Spinster aunt mutters in Yiddish
- Naomi Wolf And The Danger Of Universal Genius
- The fiction of the militant gnu atheist
- I wonder what they’re comparing it to?
- Um Gabriel, Your Daughter's Black
- Some reasons I’m looking forwards to PAX East
- These are the people who want you to die
- I am not your cautionary tale
- The Old Spice Super Fan and Insanely Clever Marketing
- Travelling feminist: Golda Meir
- An Observation
– “I learnt something… because I’m fat, I’m going to die. It’s a huge relief, because I was worried, that like my thin brothers and sisters, I’d live forever, and that wasn’t ideal.”
– “A memo to all of my coworkers, who will not, of course, read this, because if I told you what my website was I’d have to self-censor more and I’m super uninterested in doing that:
Yep, you heard me correctly, I’m autistic.”
– “Hahaha! Hoooo-boy! That’s a hot one. I have to say, the notion that more than a handful of men would ever do any of that stuff makes me throw back my head and laugh, as the poet said, a hollow, mirthless laugh.”
UPDATE: comments thread becomes transphobic, blog author’s next post is trans-supportive.
– “Being smart is no protection from being wrong; any intellect processing bad or incomplete information is likely to produce bad conclusions. Garbage in, garbage out.”
– “The linguist Larry Trask suggests that the word militant “is used all too freely in the feebler sense of ‘holding or expressing views which are unpopular or which I don’t like’.” He notes that Richard Dawkins is “accused by tabloid newspapers and other commentators of being a ‘militant atheist’”, although, the adjective is never used of Christian activity. Trask concludes, “if you find yourself writing this word, stop and think whether it has any clear meaning, or whether you are just using it as a swearword.””
– reality check time
– “Halle is biracial, just like her daughter, but she let you know a long time ago how she and society sees her.
‘Blackness is a state of mind and I identify with the Black community. Mainly because I realized early on that when I walk into a room people see a Black woman, they don’t see a white woman. So out of that reason alone I identify with the Black community.” “
– “I actually have tickets for PAX East. I decided to go long before this whole debacle because I’ve enjoyed PAX prime in the past, and a friend of mine has had an incredibly rough year so a bunch of us planned the trip partially as a present to her. She’s much more important to me than a bunch of jerks are, so backing out is not an option for me.
Rather than let the actions of a few people ruin something I enjoy, I’m going to step away from that part of things and talk about why I’m still excited about the trip.”
– 101 congresscritters want pregnant women to die if the only way they could be saved would be to abort a fetus. They really would rather have two deaths instead of just one.
– “My fat body is not your punch line, it is not your entertainment, it is not your grotesque freakshow, it is not your life-lesson.”
– Oh yes!
– Fabulous biog
– “Troll Logic:
1. It is censorship to criticize something with which you disagree.
2. It is not censorship to tell me to STFU.”