Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments.
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- Let’s say good-bye to the straw-feminist | PLoS Blogs Network
- In Which We Establish Bradshaw’s Law
- House Republicans Heroically Propose to Cut the Budget by a Teeny Tiny Bit
- The Invisible R Word
– Cordelia Fine: “Nor does my book (which has been unappealingly described as “relentlessly methodological” in its “striving for scientific correctness”) “ignore” the supposedly compelling evidence for the neurological and hormonal origins of essential differences in male and female minds. Rather, again and again I argue that – because of under-acknowledgment of social factors, spurious results, poor methodologies, and untested assumptions – the evidence scientists and commentators provide as support for essentialist claims is simply not as strong as they seem to think.”
– “If you are trying to make your point by referring to SATC—a show which, by the way, ran its last episode nearly ten years ago—you’re just flashing your own ignorance.”
– “This is an ongoing problem for political conservatives. Cutting spending is a useful sound bite, but when asked what they actually want to cut — you know, a plan to actually balance the budget without raising taxes or while cutting them — they typically flounder.”
– “The media’s refusal to name the act permits this cultural disjunction, where rape is wrong but nothing is ever rape, to flourish.”