Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Self-promotion is always welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- We can do better than this, surely?
- When Patti Smith is worried, you should be worried
- 100 sci fi women #63: Dr Eleanor Arroway
- Things of which we do not speak
- Serena Williams’ Patriarchal Bargain
- FAT BABIES
- The Black Women Are Beautiful Project Will Continue
- Ask Rachel: What are your thoughts on SlutWalk?
- Database of Bechdel Test Movie Ratings
– “But loads of other Whovians seem to have taken Canton’s saying that he is in love with this one man as his saying that he is gay. There isn’t any room for, I don’t know, the potential for nonmonosexuality, or letting a character go unlabelled.”
– “The next time someone accuses me of being a pearl-clutching, what about the children hysteric for being concerned about the sexualisation of young girls I will point to Patti Smith, because if this is moral panic then I am in good company.”
– Yep, #63 – check out the lot
– Taboos surrounding messy women’s bits
– “Of course, selling one’s own sex appeal is more or less required for any female athlete who wants to reach the pinnacle of her career without being called a “dog” and a “dyke” at every turn. So Williams isn’t breaking the rules, she’s playing the game. And, yet, when she plays the game she gets, in return, not only stalkers, but criticism that suggests that, were she to be stalked again, she was asking for it. This is an excellent example of the ugly truth about the patriarchal bargain.”
– “The idea is that the metformin will reduce the food supply to the fetus, so the fetus will not grow too large (thereby reducing the need for C-section births, and other problems associated with a large fetus). I’m not a doctor, but that sounds like a really bad idea to me. What we don’t know about how the human body works and what it needs (especially when it’s developing in the womb) is a lot. “
– Excellent news
– thinking and rethinking
– “It’s fun to browse through, for entertainment value and a starting place for thinking about the Bechdel Test and pop culture.”