Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- I don’t like her: She’s obese.
- This is so the worst thing you're going to read all day.
- Our Broken Democracy, in One Headline
- Of course they bloody do
– “It bothers me. It bothers me that I’ve spoken to this person at length and on several occasions about a wide variety of topics, ranging from poetry to physics, and this — this — is his opinion of me. I’ve been reduced to a superficial visual characteristic. Part of me is thinking, “Are you serious? Really, dude? How in the world can you pretend to be any kind of intellectual, to know anything about philosophy and political science, and not see your own views in this matter as deeply problematic?”
Also this — this — is the kind of person who gets ahead in my company, in my industry.”
– “I’m also guessing, ahem, that encouraging women to unquestioningly respond to body policing with more compliance, without so much as a passing criticism of how shitty it is, is possibly not the best suggestion for women, if women ever want to not be denied promotions on the basis of their appearance.”
– “If you can’t win without the financial backing of corporations, if there is even the reasonable assumption that you can’t win without the financial backing of corporations, our democracy is functionally dead.”
– “Of course they’ve got a bloody cheat sheet. No sensible person who has anything at all to do with media questions would be without one. Because most, not all but most, journalists in our country in its current incarnation seem to think that journalism is about nagging, needling, asking hostile, mindless gotcha questions (50 extra points if you make someone cry or lose his/her temper) and then putting as sensational a spin as possible on whatever the answer was in order to sell more papers.”
Excellent article over at New Matilda, on bodily autonomy. Still deciding, though, if it’s even more disturbing when the rape apologist nasties in the comment thread are actually able to punctuate and spell.
from @Narcissistslife – Mehal Krayem on twitter