Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- Seriously, stop with the booth babes
- CFP: Disabled Mothers « Feminist Philosophers
- Who gets to be sexy?
- When the getting to work is as stressful as the work itself
- Oh, well he’s funny, that makes up for sexually abusing a four-year-old
- Just DIY it.
- My Oh My, Stephen Fry.
- Humiliating girlhood
- Sexism 101
- “You can’t appreciate, that’s why you f***ers hate”
-“What you end up with is the situation where you, as a conference goer, walk up to a booth and, because you’re no stranger to how this works, ignore any attractive woman and talk directly to a male at the booth. You assume immediately that any attractive female is there simply for their physical appearance, not for the value that their knowledge brings. This is wrong on every level, and it’s an insidious form of objectifying women – it happens gradually, over time, and the more booth babes you see, the more ingrained it becomes.”
– “Whether a birth mother, an adoptive mother,a foster mother, a co-mother, someone mothered by a disabled woman, or someone whose research explores disabled mothering, we invite you to submit to this collection.”
– “The reason for the gender difference about who gets to be sexy is this: Men are the guys in charge. For women to have sexual power and political, social, or economic power is threatening to men as a group.
I believe the major reason women are held back is because dangling the carrot- if you achieve, you will be sexy- is a huge motivator, because being sexy is fun. Men have a direct route while women are faced with dead ends.
The solution to this enforced gender duality is not, alas, to be smart and wear a short skirt all at the same time.”
– genderised commuting expectations
– “Maybe I should say: you forgot about your roots. You were one of us, and now you’re there saying how disgusting you were. That hurts us.”
– “A hazing ritual that has gone on for years seems to have reached a new level of absurdity at major league ballparks: rookie relievers are being forced to wear schoolgirl backpacks — gaudy in color, utterly unmanly — to transport gear.”
“Unmanly”! “Painful”! “Torment”! “Flamboyant”! “Amusing”! “Humiliating”! And — take a deep breath — “pink”!
They’ve spelled it out for me: there’s nothing more humiliating than being a girl.”
– “At “the top”– whether at America’s “best” schools, largest companies, or highest levels of government– it’s one massive frat party.”
– Racists shouldn’t get to define what is and isn’t racist, especially when they’re denying what racial heritage people actually have.