Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- Pedestrians on Streets Designed for Cars
- They’re Going to Laugh at You: White Women, Betrayal, and the N-Word
- Gee, Ya Think?
- Another Groundbreaking Win For Australian Trans People
- MSM finds the big stories just too damn hard
- Dear Slutwalk, Woman Is NOT Nigger Of The World
- Scary Spice shills Jenny Craig…scary…
- Beyond not rape.
- If you’re drunk and get raped, you’ve got no one to blame but yourself, says NSW Police Commissioner
- Occupy Wall Street gets a big boost from unions. And press. And police brutality.
– “Transportation for America is collecting photographs of streets designed and maintained with cars in mind, but unsafe for pedestrians and those using public transportation.”
– “Stop confusing the fact that the n-word is still used by some black folks as license for you to use it.”
– “So the next question is, now that the campaign knows this — nice of them to keep up, by the way — what are they going to do about it?”
– “It’s interesting, ahem, that the story notes all the hackers are men, yet fails to note all their targets are women.”
– “The trans folks Down Under have been giving us a lot of good news on the international trans human rights front lately.”
– “It’s SO IMPORTANT that not a single journalist at news.com.au was told to read it. Getting your audience to read legislation for you because you couldn’t be bothered is hardly the data journalism that The Guardian used to investigate 458,832 pages of MPs’ expenses. And we all know that’s where they got the idea. Well, they got the idea but they missed the point.”
– ” I like to call the tactic that they employed bait and switch. Here look over here, that is the real problem.”
– “Mel Brown had a baby 5 weeks ago. FIVE WEEKS. She probably hasn’t even finished her lochia yet (post partum bleeding) and she is worrying about being a fat cow. This REALLY pisses me off. It took her body 10 months (give or take) to get to the ‘state’ it was in when she gave birth, how about giving it (her body) some time to recover?”
– So it saddens me when sexual communication is treated as being about consent only. Consent is step one. Consent is getting the keys to the car. But it isn’t knowing how to drive it.
And it flat-out horrifies me when sexual consent is treated as fuzzy, because if you don’t know for sure if your partner even wants to be doing this, you definitely don’t know what they actually like.
– Oh, FFS – A police commissioner is still buying into this bullshit?
– One blogger’s day in solidarity for #occupywallstreet