Most of us pop culture adherents have favourite opening credits for our TV shows. They may create an intense mood, immerse you in a place and time; they may have a great theme song; they may just remind you of good times watching that show.
Here are my top five opening sequences. Which TV credits do you not fast forward through? (Place a link to a video page if you can; I’ll do the embed magic.)
1. True Blood, as I mentioned here (NSFW):
2. The Simpsons now has a new opening sequence. Some purists may be appalled that such a holy document was changed; some geeks may delight. Conspiracy theorists are already muttering about the signs of Freemasonry.
3. Get Smart (also in Lego Brickmation)
4. Battlestar Galactica (possible spoilers through season four):
5. And a special mention for Dexter – because I do fast forward this one. It evokes the “serial killer” mood so successfully that it completely freaks me out. I don’t watch Dexter for the murders; it’s about the characterisation and interpersonal dynamics. I do love a heavily serialised show. [Note: there’s no actual violence depicted. He’s just making breakfast.]
Fan contribution: here’s a Doctor Who/ BSG mashup that I enjoyed: