Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Student Wins Right to Post Coursework Online
- Memo to the Right Wing: Put Up or Shut Up
- Tribalistic self-absorption
- ADVICE! For Deleted Commenters! AGAIN!
- Letterman and Palin: Both jerks!
- David Letterman's Joke About Knocking Up Gov. Palin's Daughter
- What we Missed.
- Slipped through the cracks
– “The convenience of profs must be secondary to the pedagogical value of the university experience.”
– “You’ve already admitted your own complicity. When the Department of Homeland Security expressed their worries about right-wing extremist violence last April, practically every conservative pundit in the country went into a righteous fit. DHS never named anyone directly, so it was astonishing how many of you on the right were so quick to step up and claim that that memo was slandering you, personally and collectively. Since you were so eager to claim that that memo was all about you, now that the violence has come to pass, we’re well justified in holding you to that.”
– “Yet again, it amounts to nothing more than: my group — the one I was born into and trained to love — is being victimized and treated so badly.”
– “My job is to behave properly at all times, or I and all other women will be subject to oppression, which is our fault for not being good girls and laughing at boys’ jokes.”
– “Why do you torment me so, Sarah Palin? Letterman said unequivocally offensive things, and he deserves to be condemned for them. But now, so have you, which complicates the matter of defending you as a fellow woman. Don’t get me wrong; I will always denounce anyone who calls you a slut, or any other misogynistic slur. You don’t deserve it, and that crap hurts all women. But if someone wants to call you a liar and a loon? You’re on your own, lady. “
– Marcella notes that conservatives are outraged only by who the joke used for its punchline, not about the joke being inherently toxic regarding sexually active teens
– linkfest from Feministing
– A round-up from Broadsheet