Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Palin does a Latham
- Christians and "Civility"
- The Supposedly Liberal Doods Are STILL Odiously Hypersexualizing Sarah Palin
- Semantics, Gender, and 'Cis' [Speaker for the Diodes]
- Thoughts on disability and respectful language
- Profound insight of the day
– Probably inscrutable to non-Aussies (nb. one disappointing line in there that I’ve challenged him on in comments)
– “But leaving aside the question of whether it’s possible to be “uncivil” to someone who isn’t even part of the conversation, there is another strain of argument we hear all the time: that disagreeing with Christians, criticizing or even examining their beliefs and finding them wanting, is in some way inherently “uncivil.”
I contend that it isn’t, for a lot of reasons. “
– A short and valid point.
– “I do not believe for a moment that this is about taking time off to prepare for 2012. Nothing I know about Sarah Palin leads me to believe that she would give up power voluntarily, let alone for something that is such a long shot, and in such a transparently self-destructive way. “
– Great 101 on trans/cis terminology
– Bookmark this one for a clear outline on the competing models of disability and the language used to describe disability
– “When a man falls for a bitchy but good looking woman, they don’t say men like bitchy women. They say men like cute women.
When a woman falls for a good looking asshole, they don’t say women like attractive guys. They say women like assholes.
Double standard much?”