Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Rupert Murdoch Finally Going All-Out Pirate
- This is why Science Fiction can’t have nice things
- Time Allocation, “Work,” and “Household Activities”
- Oprah says "No," to Chris Brown
- The Trials and Travails of Transness: Trans-Misogyny
- What's With The Makeovers?
- Offensive words
- More on Aussie pollies religious follies
- New Forum for Feminist Parents
- Another WingNutDaily Birther blooper: Kenya wasn't a republic until Dec. 1964
- Books and the price thereof
- The problem with equal parenting
– Who will pay for Murdoch’s online content?
– “And how do we even begin to tackle the kind of sexism embedded in the statement that Chris Brown was a “bitch” for apologizing.?”
– “Society has special venom for trans women, because we are “traitors” to male privilege. We suffer from regular sexism if we are read as women and worse if we are read as trans.”
– You are a male physics professor, and you want to improve science education. What could possibly be a better idea than to team up with a bunch of professional cheerleaders and make a video of them shouting out science tidbits while they shake their pompoms? Science cheerleaders!
I know, right? You wish you’d thought of it first, don’t you?
– from Fugitivus
– “Word. To extend this idea, to say that something is correct because my religion says so is not enough. Politicians with religious views need to be able to support their ideals with a logical, rational argument in addition to any simplistic faith based explanation. Because if I do not subscribe to a particular Christian sect, then what reason do I have to support that sect’s religious policies?”
– A great idea
– A contrary view
– poignant reflections