Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Trans Women Are Ghastly Parodies? Intersexuals Are Not?
- Unsolicited careers advice
- The Future of Journalism
- Why Does Popular Culture Treat Prison Rape As a Joke? | Reproductive Justice and Gender | AlterNet
- Women at Arms – G.I. Jane Breaks the Combat Barrier – Series – NYTimes.com
- Conscience in a bottle
- First sensible thing she’s ever written
- Germaine Greer- Still Hatin' After All These Years
– a test that could change nothing and change everything
– I wish I’d read something like this when I was considereing options after school
– “I can understand how that might sound daunting to journalists and the industry, but figuring out how to be part of more conversations may very well be part of successful business models for the quality journalists of tomorrow.”
– “Beginning with an attitude of zero tolerance for any kind of sexual abuse in any facility, the commission’s priorities include: improved hiring practices for facility staff; consideration of the inmates’ risk for rape (including physical stature, sexual preference, gender identity, and age) when placing them in bunks and programs; stringent internal and external oversight; staff training; and medical and mental health services for survivors.”
– “it is only a matter of time before regulations that have restricted women’s participation in war will be adjusted to meet the reality forged over the last eight years”
– “…Nowhere in Fiji Water’s glossy marketing materials will you find reference to the typhoid outbreaks that plague Fijians because of the island’s faulty water supplies; the corporate entities that Fiji Water has — despite the owners’ talk of financial transparency — set up in tax havens like the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg; or the fact that its signature bottle is made from Chinese plastic in a diesel-fueled plant and hauled thousands of miles to its ecoconscious consumers.”
– Jeremy notes that Miranda Devine’s stopped clock aligns with everybody else’s in her latest column
– “Didn’t you get the memo? Hatin’ on transpeople is so 20th century. “
Sady from TigerBeatdown has a post on Broadsheet that seems to dovetail neatly with the conversations we’ve been having recently about the way female musicians are perceived:
I love Michael Berube’s Exclusive Interview with the Media.
H/T to Bitch, PHD.