Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- Totally. Fucking. Clueless.
- 10 Scariest States to Be an Atheist
- Disabled? Work for less!
- Westboro Baptist Church wimps out in Seattle
- The PM is a woman, so let’s move on
- Men Are From Blah Blah Women Are Yawwwwwwwn
- No, Seriously: Another Space for Feminist Men
- Yummy Mummy p0rn
- The heavy centre
- Don’t Know Much About History: it’s not just kids
- The Manly Men of Yore
- A petty rant
- The best of the rest of the internet
- Review Of Lawrence Leung’s ‘Unbelievable’ Premiere (While On Antibiotics)
– “This is the clip every progressive feminist will remember when they walk into a voting booth (or don’t) in 2012. Absolutely breathtaking.”
– “Let’s be clear. It’s not like it’s easy to be an atheist anywhere in the U.S. Atheists are the most distrusted and disliked of all minority groups […] anti-atheist bigotry … it exists. It is real … And it has real-world consequences.
So if you’re ever tempted to ask why atheists are so angry, or why they have to kick up such a fuss all the time, or why they want to organize and form groups based on what they don’t believe in… remember that.
– “[Trigger warning for rape culture; rape jokes.]
“Did I seriously just read Ta-Nehisi Coates defend a rape joke?”
– “I expect the headline above would be dismissed by Tory MP Philip Davies as yet more “leftwing hysteria” but it precisely reflects something he has seriously suggested:”
– Glorious photo-essay – yay for Seattle!
– “Did journalists at The Australian ask the fathers of the previous 26 (male) prime ministers about their adult child’s popularity?”
– “You knew that was coming! Once again, ScienceTM proves that men are from Mars and women are from Venus. Can’t argue with that, can you?”
– “I’m excited that there are more and more spaces online for feminist men to do some of the work that men should be doing to dismantle patriarchy–dismantling that will help men as well as folks of all genders!”
– “No, these two million porn searchers, most of them from the U.S., are a stand-in for all humanity.”
– “There are ways of doing fiction and writing fictive lives that can emerge in, as Ursula Le Guin said to and of Tiptree, ‘so immense, so funny, so effective and fantastic, and ETHICAL, a put on’. And that was Tiptree to a T.”
– “Most of the people who said those things aren’t stupid. They’re quite good at what they do and intellectually bright in many areas. They’re just not tuned in. Data about the world and the past washes over them, unnoticed, the same way mathematics washes over most of us.”
– “An interesting perspective on the Anthony Weiner saga, and the idea that men are naturally sexually voracious:
Rampant sexuality was something men were supposed to grow out of: in medieval political theory, young male bodies were used as symbols of badly run kingdoms. A man who indulged in excessive eating, drinking, sleeping or sex — who failed to “rule himself” — was considered unfit to rule his household, much less a polity.”
– “Here’s my line in the sand: you do not count discrete things starting at a zeroth thing. Well, if you do, I say it’s not geeky.”
– A bit of sceptic backchannel perspective.
That Seattle anti-Westboro-Baptist protest put me in a happy place. Thanks Pam Spaulding!
Thank you for the linkage, Tigtog!
Thank you for that deeply considered and insightful remark.
Gotta say I’m with tree here – “Atheists are the most distrusted and disliked of all minority groups” is a remark packed with bullshittery. I strongly suspect that atheists are not more distrusted and disliked than, say, people with certain psychiatric disabilities. And are these places that supposedly will vote for lesbians, gay people, and Muslims over atheists also perfectly thrilled at the idea for voting for someone who’s openly a trans person, an intersex or agender person, someone in a open multisexual poly marriage, a Wiccan or other pagan?
The link that the “all minority groups” remark is based on talks about a 12 year old American study where the only listed groups are “Catholic, Black, Jewish, Captist, Woman, Mormon, Muslim, Gay, and Atheist”. That’s a pretty impoverished view of “all the minority groups”! And the link says “atheists are the most despised minority in America” – bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
Fair points all, Lauredhel. While I accept that bigotry against atheists is pervasive and persecutory in much of the USA, and probably stronger than against the other faith-groups there (other than Muslims post-9-11), I’d be astonished if it truly rises above the bigotry against other minorities as you’ve mentioned.
The particular instances Greta Christina outlines remain disturbing to me. I probably chose the wrong part of her post to highlight for the linkfest, because that was just the introduction, not the meat.