Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
- How to do discreet breastfeeding
- I'm So Glad We Elected a Democrat, Part One Billion and Five
- 39th Down Under Feminist Carnival – call for submissions
- Girls gone missing: kids’ movies posters in 2011
- This “Lightworker” dude is an interesting guy
- When the dignity of one person is denied, all of us are denied
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn and Who’s Really Being Set-up Here
- The best of the rest of the internet
- My Planned Parenthood Story: Planned Parenthood Saved My Daughter
- yet another burqa post
- Why Google should allow anonymous/pseudonymous names on Google+
- Anti-pseudonym bingo
- Breaking: Pentagon suspends DADT in wake of court ruling
- POP GOES FEMINISM: Popularizing Strong Girls: Will the New Hermione Please Stand Up?
- Breastfeeding Reporter – My New Industry-Free Life
– “Hey breastfeeding prudes. A little F.U. from the lactating ladies: crocheted breast beanies for the breast-feeding babies.”
– “For the record, although I sincerely doubt there’s any confusion about this outside the White House: All the times I’ve written some variation on, “I hope Obama is a more successful president than Bush,” that did not mean, “I hope he is more successful at DISMANTLING THE SOCIAL SAFETY NET.””
– Mim is hosting the next DUFC – start submitting your favourite posts!
– “The year is 2011. You are a seven year old girl looking out the back seat car window. Unless you catch a glimpse of ‘Hoodwinked 2? or ‘Judy Moody’ these are the pictures you see. In your world, boys are front and center. You are a sidekick or just not there at all.”
– “I don’t know why I even bother to put those charts up, really. It feels so futile. Obviously the rich people running the show (very much including President Obama) have decided to plunder the country. As Paul Krugman noted the other day (and as I predicted so many times in 2008), we only have one party now. The party of pillage. “
– “Funding was withdrawn by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea for the overnight care that Ms McDonald needs to assist her with going to the toilet during the night, and the council instead gave her some incontinence pads, stating that this was cheaper.
Elaine McDonald is not incontinent! And she, quite rightly, objects to being asked to lie in bed for 12 hours at a time (since her care has been cut), in her own waste. “
– great summary of the sociolegal strands
– lotsa links
– “While many other women go to Planned Parenthood for assistance with abortion, I found that they were just as willing to support my choices to keep my child, offer me access to funding and programs, counseling services for abuse and transition, and legal assistance to prevent my husband from being allowed to force me to do something to my body that I didn’t want (at that time). The nurse on duty had no agenda that she was touting—she was not invested in having me keep OR abort my child, she was really and truly there to support MY REPRODUCTIVE choices…
Because of the help I received from a nurse at the Planned Parenthood office I was empowered NOT to have an abortion AND to leave an abusive marriage.”
– “i also hate that the public discourse of muslim women in this country centres around the burqa, especially when the vast majority of muslim women don’t even wear them. yet we are all defined by it. stories that have the word muslim in them, if they are accompanied by a picture, inevitably have a picture of burqa-clad women. even when the story hasn’t got anything to do with the burqa or even with women.”
– “I don’t believe that getting rid of anonymity online will stop bad behaviour like the abuse and death threats I’ve received. I do think that getting rid of anonymity and pseudonymity online will make it easier for people like myself to become targets of abuse and potentially put us in danger.”
– Seeing as all the cool kids are playing with what Google+ does and doesn’t allow everyone to do…
– “Instead of talking about Edward’s golden eyes a bazillion times, how about some heroines with wit, intelligence, bravery and charisma?”
– A week ago Monday the word came down that Evenflo was changing its stance and would begin marketing its newly released baby bottles to parents on its website, through its social media channels, and in print ads. Although Ameda—my own little division of the company—did not even make products covered by the Code, my paycheck came from Evenflo. My choice was clear, but that did not make it easy.