Aboriginal and Islander men, so readily demonised in Australia, held a march last Saturday in Melbourne in the name of reclaiming, respecting and protecting themselves and their communities. The stated purpose of the march was:
* To show solidarity amongst Aboriginal and Islander Men.
* To reinforce our place in family and community.
* To reinforce our culture as a way forward.
* To show we are role models for our families and our young.
* To make a stand for healing our country.
* To commit to the rights of Aboriginal people.
* To pledge to honour the 1000 warrior values.
(More information on how the march got started here).
Events like these need more media and blog coverage. Because let’s face it, absolutely everybody in this country could do with seeing a whole lot more positive images of black men, it goes some of the way towards counteracting the endless stream of negative press devoted to Aboriginal and Island men here.