Apologies for my long linkfest hiatus, and now back to your normal programming! If you follow me on Twitter, you may have already seen these items of interest encountered recently in my feed-reader or via twitter (please consider following some of the bloggers/tweeters). What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments. Shameless self-promotion entirely welcome!
- Call for Feminism 101 Links I at Feminism 101 Blog http://wp.me/p4Jb1-hm
- ABCnewsIntern ?
@ABCnewsIntern : “While women need f—ability, men need only c—ibility”, says David Dale in the SMH, after comparing women TV hosts. http://is.gd/feDOLq
- Why I do not ‘Like’ or ‘Share’ your heartwarming/scaremongering viral clickbait, everybody / Cancerous clicks http://bit.ly/PfJxDP
- Just listened to Mick Palmer, former AFP Comissioner, on ABC News 24 talking sense much like his June SMH op-ed http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/after-33-years-i-can-no-longer-ignore-the-evidence-on-drugs-20120606-1zwpr.html …
- More on convention codes of conduct | Lessons for SMoFs http://bit.ly/TxfARS (SMoFs = Secret Masters of Fandom)
- The Ada Initiative
@adainitiative :Round-up of sexism in atheist, sci-fi, and hacker cons and @adainitiative‘s work RT @io9 The Great Geek Sexism Debate http://on.io9.com/trCJcg
- The Mad, the Genius, and the Doctor: Asylum of the Daleks http://bit.ly/P4yzPS by
- Viv Smythe
@vivsmythe: @firstdogonmoon you are a wonderful feminist soul … #destroythejoint http://i.imgur.com/OigLS.png
- David Pope
@davpope: You have a new follower! http://goo.gl/n0A8J <my cartoon in today’s Canberra Times> #ccRoxon
- Lori Marx-Rubiner
@regrounding: Go figure! Study finds some evidence for “chemo brain” after #BreastCancer treatment http://www.sciencecodex.com/review_finds_some_evidence_for_chemo_brain_in_breast_cancer_survivors_moffitt_cancer_center_says-97764 … @chemobrainfog #bcsm
- For those not already familiar with “grunch” http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Grunch
- The Mary Sue
@The_MarySue: More Than Half of this Year’s Hugo Awards Went to Women, and You Can Read Their Stuff for Free Online http://www.themarysue.com/the-hugo-award-winning-women/ …
- Fistbump for
@MrDenmore – Old Angry Men http://bit.ly/Naeglo
- “Aren’t we all supposed to understand that by the time we’re, like, three?” by
@JustineLavaworm Taking No For an Answer http://bit.ly/OUoWTB
- Marvellous! RT@JustineLavaworm This is the best thing EVER. Casting out the scum of geekdom: http://jrblackwell.tumblr.com/post/30593046145/the-presupposition-of-a-geek-hierarchy … … by
- Inequality even in stereotypes “
@BitchFlicks Strong boy/Smart girl: Another Hollywood Trope in ‘The Bourne Legacy’ http://bit.ly/QhTRKV “
@The_MarySue | “Neil Gaiman Is Writing Another Doctor Who Episode,” Says Neil Gaiman. http://bit.ly/RFvHqT
- Jason Wilson ?
@jason_a_w: Might be a good moment for a quick reminder of our current call for papers on trolling for Fibreculture Journal. http://bit.ly/NTKRd5
Disclaimer/SotBO: a link here is not necessarily an endorsement of all opinions of the post author(s) either in the particular post or of their writing in general.
Mary Beard is my hero. Just sayin’.
Shameless indeed. I brazenly ignored my blog for a while and am recently getting back into it with some feminist reviews of girly films and some random thoughts on gendered aspects of my life.
Terrible argument against the label “wicked” problems, using wicked witches pejoratively to denote evil, malfeasance and irrationality promoted by Paul Harris on the Conversation. I have a go at it but don’t think it should be allowed to stand unchallenged.
I’m with you Jo. Mary Beard was awesome.
I can’t believe they’re making such a fuss about her in the UK. I always had the impression they were much more relaxed (compared to the US say) about putting unconventionally attractive people on camera.
I just watched the
lastlatest episode of Mary Beard’s show Meet The Romans tonight. I don’t much care how she looks, I do care more how she thinks, and apart from that she looks like a perfectly normal elderlyolder woman who is probably quite a bit fitter than most of her critics, seeing as she’s willing to cycle around Rome (lots of hills).
I thought historians were allowed to be a little bit dusty and eccentric. I will not allow history to be sexed up! It.stops.with.me.
Mary Beard is excited and enthusiastic about history and says interesting stuff in a way that makes you want to go there and see it for yourself (or me at least). She is everything a historian on TV should be.