Guest Hoyden Bio: Our Guest Hoyden today is Adelaide writer, critic and editor Kerryn Goldsworthy, reproduced with permission from a post she made on Facebook.
bear in mind I am just riffing off the Canadian one — the first one I saw — which linked to the Irish, Russian, French and English ones. I did think we needed a List Of Our Own. Fellow Aust Lit nerds might also recognise something I have subconsciously borrowed from Professor Ken Stewart, the undisputed king of ASAL Parody Night.
Every Australian Novel Ever!
1) Four Characters from All Over the World Meet in the Bush and have Cryptic Conversational Exchanges, Often About Ants
2) Jesus My Friends are Horrible
3) Bruce was My One True Mate
4) I am an Old Woman Now and Cannot be Expected to Remember Things in Chronological Order
5) Shagging Several Different People, Some of Whom are on Drugs, Because Counterculture
6) Then There Was a Barbecue and All Hell Broke Loose
7) Finally I Found my Soulmate, who was Immediately Killed in the War
8) Surfing, Vols 1–17
9) Arabella, how Boldly and Divinely you Sit Astride your Horse with your Golden Curls Shining in the Hot Sun, and I Bet you can Kill and Gut a Sheep As Well and Cut it Up Into Chops
10) I Just Had to Get Out of Australia
11) A Man Travels from the Northern to the Southern Hemisphere and Then Back to the Northern and Then Back to the Southern and his Bank Balance Goes Up and Down, and Then He Dies
12) An Explorer Travels Inland, and Then He Dies
13) A Jewish Scholar Makes it Out of Germany Just In Time and Travels to Australia, and Then He Dies
14) A Wild Girl Bravely Saves Her Little Brother, and Then She Dies
15) It was the War/Depression/First War/Pioneering Days/Convict Days, We Had to Do All Sorts of Appalling Things
16) Their Ancestors Had a Terrible Secret
17) The Frickin’ Landscape
18) The Divine and Mystic Landscape
19) The Landscape