From Leah Hobson of the AFDO [Australian Federation of Disability Organisations] :
AFDO needs your help. We’re keen to give Bill Shorten [Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Children’s Services] examples of large venues which don’t do accessible toilets very well. A list of the worst offenders will also go up on the AFDO website.
So, what are we looking for?
LARGE VENUES: think concert halls, stadiums, theatres, large hotels, hospitals and big corporate buildings. They can be anywhere in Australia.
ACCESSIBLE TOILET ISSUES. Here are some examples of issues you might have with a venue:
- Are there enough accessible toilets, or do you have to wait a long time to use the accessible toilets?
- Do you have to travel a long distance inside the building to find the accessible toilets?
- Are the toilets labeled ‘accessible’ even though they don’t meet your access needs?
LET AFDO KNOW BY MONDAY 7TH SEPTEMBER. You can:
* Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a message on Facebook.
* Call the AFDO Office on 03 9662 3324 (TTY: 03 9662 3724).
National Policy Officer
Please feel welcome to discuss this here – along with broader issues of toilet accessibility that aren’t always related to Australia or large venues or disability (but may overlap/intersect) – but also leave your feedback so that your information will make it into Bill Shorten’s hands.