Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Radical Readers: Feminisms for Dummies
- I’m a Death Panel
- A Comparative Free Write: The Wedding Industry vs. The Baby Industry
- What’s Accessible To You?
- Feminists hate babies
- The Rise Of The Tenthers
- The underweight brain
- Leave old movies alone, please.
- We are the new world order, apparently
- The Western woman's body is still subject to regulation
- Bristol Tories brand lottery grant to youth LGB group "outrageous"
- when no-one hears you scream
– from frau sally benz: “It is here! Our online feminist book club!”
– “Ever wondered what, exactly, happens in those conversations that Sarah Palin is so determined to prevent? What is a Death Panel, after all? Now your questions can be answered from someone who has actually done the deed.”
– “How is it that more people are interested in what kind of crib I will need than how my writing schedule will alter? How is it that more people are interested in the date of the ultrasound that will announce gender than the date I get a nuchal translucency screening that tests for Down Syndrome? When I do articulate feelings, why are my worries and fears minimized to a scattering of pulp when I muse aloud about my career, my ability to move and travel, the unknown, unpredictable future and that, yes, I am choosing this, AND, yes, am still scared? “
– “Different bodies, need different kinds of accommodation.”
– “… until I clicked over to the article that Sweet Machine is referring to in her post and I was surprised to find myself, straw feminists aside, agreeing with a lot more of that article than I expected.”
– Teabaggers, Birthers, now Tenthers. The GOP scratches around for another way to cry foul on Obama.
– Quixote gets all sciencey in response to latest claims about obesity
– “I will admit that part of my loathing for this practice comes from the fact that I just don’t trust most prominent directors to do justice to the original piece. Look Jonathan Demme’s abominable Manchurian Candidate 2: Electric Boogaloo, for example. “
– Did you know that feminism is a movement funded by secret societies? Join tor in wondering where your cheque is hiding.
– otherwise why on earth are so many column inches devoted to the bare arms or legs of one politician’s wife?
– “Quite how the blatent inequality in attitudes towards young people?s sexuality – the fact that kids and teens aren?t bullied for being heterosexual – managed to escape the editors is beyond me.”
– “An Aboriginal community has petitioned for refugee status as displaced persons as a result of the Northern Territory intervention. You’ve really got to put that into the perspective of the other events that led to people being refugees: natural disasters, civil war, persecution. Then you’ve got to realise that this is right here in Australia, where we complain about the cost of cappucinos and losing the Ashes.”