Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Remembering Hurricane Katrina
- Forget The “Sex Predator”, How ‘Bout His Wife, Eh?
- The name’s the thing
- The news you have to pay for
- In Which the NYT Notices the Politics of Black Women’s Hair
- NY Bans Most Shackling During Childbirth
- Drop It Like It’s Hot
- Glass houses and parenting rooms
– My birthday – shared with MJ plus anniversary of Katrina. If I were superstitious…
– “I hope I’m not the only one who thinks a simple “Sex predator faces life in jail” would have sufficed.”
– “None of this shit happened when she changed her name upon marriage.”
– “The media is about delivering messages to you, the so-called public. One message that almost completely escapes censure is that we must have the economic system we currently have.”
– “Anyone who thought such preconceptions were outdated would have been reminded otherwise by some negative reactions to the president’s 11-year-old daughter, Malia Obama, who wore her hair in twists while in Rome this summer. Commenters on the conservative blog Free Republic attacked her as unfit to represent America for stepping out unstraightened.”
– “in addition to the inhumane and degrading nature of the treatment, the emotional trauma it inflicts, and the physical discomfort, it’s a practice that can even cause physical injury.”