Items of interest found recently in my RSS feed. What did I miss? Please share what you've been reading (and writing!) in the comments.
- Data retention: Got nothing to hide?
- The best of the rest of the internet
- Utterly Hilarious
- Why has the Post series created so little reaction?
- The Five Circles of Conservative Hell
- sticking up for the “overeaters”
- New RED Trailer
- Geeks 1, Homophobes 0
- The Dieters’ Clusterfuck
- BP photoshops fake photo of crisis command center, posts on main BP site
– “It recently came to light (thanks to some good reporting) that the Government has been fishing around with ISPs for their support on a new and radical data retention policy. This would legally oblige telcos to retain large amounts of data about their customers’ communications activities in case law enforcement needed them at some point in the future.”
– Echidne’s commentary is delicious, but do click through to the article itself. Wow.
– “It’s not hard to understand why. Why would the political class possibly want to subvert or weaken their ability to exercise vast spying, detention, and military powers in the dark? They don’t. Beyond that, as the Post series highlights, Top Secret America provides not only the ability to exercise vast power with no accountability, but also enables the transfer of massive amounts of public wealth to the private national security and surveillance corporations which own the Government. Very few people with political power have the incentive to do anything about that. “
– “In American politics today, there are five circles of conservative hell. Unlike those in Dante’s Inferno, these are primarily states of pain and suffering that conservatives seek to impose on others in this earthly world – or places of torment where they drag their fellow Americans for company. After all, there’s no problem in the country that’s not made sweeter by domineering spite!”
– A story for you all.
– “What I am proposing here is a sort of radical kindness, that is not readily displayed in our culture. I’m not advocating pity, I am advocating actual true kindness extended here.”
– OMFG – Kung Fu Monkey’s in, I’m jumping on the bandwagon too. Will be hugely disappointed if this is not Pure Awesome.
– “The Phelps crowd might think they have God on their side, but do they really want to get into a stamina war with folks who can wait hours in line for a sneak peek at The Green Hornet or an autograph from Stan Lee or Ray Bradbury? Mess with fanboys and fangirls on Star Wars Day and the Force will not be with you. “
– “After becoming thoroughly bored with the Clusterfuck (which takes about 0.68 seconds in my experience) you wander elsewhere, and there’s general agreement amongst the Dieters—usually unspoken—that you didn’t belong, anyway, and isn’t great they can now get back to their circle-jerk and painstakingly show off to each other how much of the diet culture they have absorbed?”
– BP proves yet again how it is such a class act