Items of interest come across recently in my feed-reader. What did I miss? Leave your own interesting links in comments.
n.b. Comments threads have not necessarily been read. Some may be NSFW or triggering, so please report back any problems you encounter so the post can be marked.
(via Echidne – text reads FEMINAZI – because wanting to be treated like a HUMAN BEING is JUST LIKE invading Poland.)
- Winners & Losers winning and losing
- My husband is a housewife.
- Geraldine Ferraro Dies, Some Want to Deny Her Catholic Funeral
- GOP now demonizing high-speed rail same way they demonized health care reform
- Helen of Troy: Some of Women’s History Should Stay that Way
- Real Quick: Remember, dramatic weight loss can kill you.
- Freedom of Speech Does Not Mean Freedom from Criticism*
- Billionaire self-pity and the Koch brothers
– “With the launch of each new Australian TV show I give a hoot about, I start off wondering whether there are going to be any non-white people in it.”
– “Having lived on both sides of the fence, I can no longer buy the idea that there’s anything inherently suspicious about a man staying home to do the work of running a household. Frankly, I think it’s sexist to automatically assume so.”
– so predictable
– Of course they are – if the govt can make it work then Atlas Shrugged will be utterly discredited 🙂
– “March is women’s history month, but this year we’re getting a special kind of history lesson. The anti-woman agenda being ram-rodded through legislatures this term is ancient. At least since Helen of Troy, our leaders have been actively denying women the right to choose how to run their private lives.”
– “Apparently, we’ve become so culturally obsessed with dieting that we’re losing sight of some very basic biological realities. It’s chilling to realize that some folks need to be told that extreme weight loss can kill you—even if you are very fat, yes—but if the shocked horror with which this story is being met is any indication, it’s a reminder we desperately need.
Glenn Wilsey, a young football-playing man from Ohio, is dead today because he was instructed by army recruiters to lose a significant amount of weight in order to qualify for active duty.”
– “You cannot repeatedly exhibit behaviours that a marginalised group object to and respond with “Leave me/them alone.” This is the equivalent of a schoolyard bully saying “Stop picking on me.” after their victim takes a swing back at them. You cannot tell a marginalised person who you have just stigmatised even further that they are “being too sensitive.””
– “So [according to the Koch Brothers] Barack Obama is a “dedicated egalitarian” who has “internalized Marxist” ideas in the Kenyan socialist tradition. Just compare that to actual facts…The political power of America’s richest has never been greater, and the level of their responsibility and collective burden has never been less. Meanwhile, for ordinary Americans, the remaining remnants of their financial security and middle class comforts rapidly erodes. It’s true that the U.S. Government has little regard for the free market: they intervene constantly in the free market on behalf of the nation’s wealthiest and most powerful business interests; it’s crony capitalism, corporatism: government run by corporations …”