In no particular order, some random links to posts and articles I have been reading recently, to do with mental health (NB: trigger warnings may apply – possibly even to my descriptions, and my descriptions hopefully indicate the kind of content you will come across in the linked pieces):
- I had anorexia – but not because I wanted to look like a fashion model by Hadley Freeman at the Guardian. Freeman makes an important point about treating anorexia nervosa as a mental illness – which it is – rather than just saying “oh it’s about young women who want to be thin”.
- Suicide at Work by Erik Loomis at Lawyers, Guns and Money. Mental health should be part of a work health and safety approach. This is an issue which many in Australia are working to try to address, too.
- Guest Post: What It’s Like In A Mental Hospital by Ozy Frantz at Captain Awkward. Not a new post, but Captain Awkward recently referred back to it and reminded me of it. A really eye-opening and educative description of staying in a mental hospital.
- Every goddamn year. by Aoife at Consider the Tea Cosy. Remembering losing someone to depression and suicide.
- Learning to swim by Jennifer Wilson at No Place for Sheep. A relatively positive note to end on – the gradual process of healing from trauma and abuse; being able to forgive.