ABC radio in Canberra has been asking listeners to nominate their top ten Australian songs. This is the list they came up with.
10. It’s Because I Love You (Masters’ Apprentices)
9. And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (Eric Bogle)
8. The Real Thing (Russell Morris)
7. I Was Only 19 (Redgum)
6. Evie Parts 1 2 and 3 (Stevie Wright)
5. Eagle Rock (Daddy Cool)
4. Khe Sanh (Cold Chisel)
3. Friday on My Mind (Easybeats)
2. Sounds of Then (GANGgajang)
And *drumroll* number 1 is ……
Throw Your Arms Around Me (Hunters & Collectors)
So, by now you have probably guessed what is wrong with the list above. Hint, it’s not the songs which in my book are all brilliant.
Peta’s challenge to us is to come up with a top ten list of Australian female artists’ songs. The question is do we include Ladyhawke (NZ), Wendy Matthews (Canada) and other singers that we like to claim as our own?
I’m starting with Casey Chambers – Am I not pretty enough?
Over to you.